Kayla joined Auerbach Pollock Friedlander after completing her Bachelor of Architecture degree from Carnegie Mellon University and is working in the firm’s San Francisco office as a technical designer. In this role, she provides support to the studio team utilizing her training in architecture, theatre and sound design and her exceptional proficiency with computer aided design programs.
Before joining Auerbach Pollock Friedlander, Kayla interned with architecture firms in Pittsburgh and New York where she participated in all aspects of the design and construction process including reviewing drawings, performing building code analysis, creating site analysis diagrams, evaluating the results of feasibility studies and providing construction administration support.
During her education at Carnegie Mellon University, she had the opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand and Switzerland and participated in an Advanced Architecture Studio in France. Her Thesis, “Aberrant: The Psychoacoustics of Sonic Space” focused on sound design in architecture and explores how room acoustics play an important role in a person’s movement through space.
Selected Project Experience
- Argyros Performing Arts Center, Ketchum, Idaho
- City of Lake Forest Council Chamber and Theatre, California
- Cooper High School, Theatrical Equipment Update, New Hope, Minnesota
- Fairmont Century Plaza, Ballroom, Los Angeles, California
- Gonzaga University, Myrtle Woldson Performing Arts Center, Spokane, Washington
- John Adams Middle School, Santa Monica, California
- Patrick Henry High School, Study and Retrofit, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Rubidoux High School, Concert Hall Schematic Design, Riverside, California
- San Francisco State University, Creative Arts Replacement Building, San Francisco, California
- The Hamlin School, San Francisco, California
- Urban School of San Francisco, Feasibility Study, San Francisco, California
- Waseca High School, Auditorium, Waseca, Minnesota
- Westonka High School, New Auditorium, Mound, Minnesota
- Bachelor of Architecture, Carnegie Mellon University, Architecture with minors in Sound Design and Drama
- American Institute of Architect Students Member, CMU Chapter, 2012-2017
- AIAS Imagine, 60 for 60 Competition Co-hosted by Disney Imagineering 2017 Winner
- The Education Abroad Network Global Ambassador, 2015-2017
- Thesis Abstract and Precis Accepted to Research in Sound Session at USITT 2017